As environmental regulations and building codes continue to become tougher, cool roof coatings have become increasingly popular in recent years. A cool roof is one that has been coated with a specific type of paint, sheet covering, or even reflective shingles or tiles so that it reflects heat, directs it away, and absorbs less heat than a normal roof. The result? Roof temperatures are lower than normal (by up to 50 degree Fahrenheit in some cases), leading to a number of noteworthy benefits.
Some of the benefits of roof coating include:
- Extends the service life of the roof—The sun is often a roof’s worst enemy, especially in a place that’s as hot as Houston. When the sun is constantly beating down on your building’s roof, it can deteriorate the roofing material and cause severe damage over time. However, a coated roof is designed to reflect sunlight. This makes the roof much cooler, and therefore, reduces the amount of damage caused by the sun. This could potentially significantly extend the service life of your roof. In fact, there are many cases where coating a commercial or industrial roof can restore it to like-new condition for a fraction of the cost of replacing it.
- Cuts energy bills—The sun that shines down on your roof can cause the inside of your building to heat up. This means you have to turn on your AC to keep the space comfortable. With a cool roof that reflects sunlight away and is up to 50 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than a regular roof, you won’t have to crank up your AC so high to keep your indoors cool. This can help cut your energy bills significantly.
- Reduces wear and tear on air conditioning systems—HVAC systems are expensive to repair or replace. A cool roof can make your indoor space cooler and more comfortable and therefore minimize wear and tear on your air conditioning system. This could help extend the lifetime of your AC and lead to fewer repairs.
- Improves indoor comfort—Simply put, the inhabitants of your commercial building will be more comfortable if your roofing has been properly coated. This is especially important for areas that are not air conditioned (e.g. warehouses).
- Works for a wide range of roof types—Roof coatings can be used to improve and to restore roofing systems of all types, including concrete roofs, metal roofs, single-ply roofs, asphalt/bur/granular cap sheet, polyurethane foam roofs, and more. Just about every roof can be made cooler with the right coating.
Summit Coatings specializes in roof coating applications. As a certified applicator of many of the top roof coating systems, we can help you maximize the numerous benefits of cool roof coatings. Visit our site at www.SummitCoatings.com today for more information.